Experienced Attorney Outlines Child Support Laws in D.C. and Maryland

Firm with offices in Washington and Greenbelt assists divorcing parents

In Maryland and Washington, D.C., The Law Office of Michael A. Troy PLLC provides effective representation for mothers and fathers relating to child support issues. As an accomplished family law attorney, Michael A. Troy can summarize the factors used by governments when setting initial rates, as well as the pertinent standards courts use when considering if an existing order should be modified or enforced. With offices in Greenbelt and the District of Columbia, our firm helps parents establish fair terms and avoid unnecessary problems.

Dedicated lawyer explains the process of calculating child support payments

After a divorce, child support payments are usually made by the parent who does not have primary physical child custody. However, even if custody is shared — with the child spending at least 35 percent of the time in each home — one parent might still be required to assist the other financially. The required payment rate is usually based on the following factors:

  • Average monthly income — Each parent’s average monthly income is used to set the amount of child support that one party must pay the other. When a party intentionally limits their income to evade their obligation, the court can impute funds the parent should have earned.
  • Medical costs — Payments for health insurance premiums and extraordinary medical expenses affect the outcome of a child support determination.
  • Child care expenses — Mothers and fathers who work may likely need to rely on a child care provider. Tuition for day care and other similar costs can be covered in the child support award.

Though the calculation of child support might appear to be simple, a skilled family law attorney can identify areas where incorrect information could result in an order that harms a parent and child. Our firm is dedicated to ensuring fair treatment for our clients whether they are expecting to make or to receive payments.

Family litigator represents parties when rate modifications are requested

If your income changes materially, you can petition for a modification of your child support obligation to account for the adjustment. In Washington, D.C., a request will be considered if the recalculation would move the rate by at least 15 percent. The percentage might be a bit higher in Maryland. Whatever situation you’re in, we’ll review the facts and advocate for an appropriate resolution. Even if both parents agree on a new rate, it is best to formalize the revised arrangement to avert potential problems down the road.

Skillful advocate handles cases involving alleged failure to pay child support

Both Washington, D.C. and Maryland have agencies dedicated to enforcing child support obligations. When a payment is late, missed or incomplete, we advise clients on the administrative and legal options available to ensure compliance with the order. Various methods exist under the law to secure the amount that is owed, including wage garnishment, suspension of professional licenses or driving privileges, notification to employers and even contempt of court.

How long does child support last?

Maryland law requires a parent to make payments until their son or daughter turns 18 in most situations. However, if the child is still in high school, the obligation lasts through the time they leave school or turn 19, whichever comes first. In Washington, D.C., mandated child support ends at age 21. However, financing higher education can extend beyond the time when the law no longer forces parents to provide child support. Our firm helps parents work out plans where they can collaborate to fund college costs and other key expenses of young adulthood.

Contact a Maryland and Washington, D.C. child support lawyer for a free consultation

Michael A. Troy PLLC advocates on behalf of Beltway-area parents in child support proceedings. Our offices are in Greenbelt, Maryland and Washington, D.C. Please call 202-655-5512 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.